Sunday, April 29, 2007

Roma... april 8-11, 2007

We arrived in Rome, or Roma, on Easter Sunday and the place was packed! The pope was holding a mass in St Peter's Square and there were barricades around it. Though not a Catholic, my spirits lifted at hearing the people sing. Oh, not only was I lifted spiritually but also physically as I climbed up on Xianhong's shoulders to take photographs!


This is the second time I've been to Rome and I am back after ten years plus (gosh, ten years is old)! Rome feels different. During my last visit, I remembered Papa grabbing my arm so tight it hurts when passing through a crowd of gypsies that suddenly swarmed up. Now, there are peddlers all over the place selling fake goods and souvenirs. The sights have not changed though, and Rome is full of fountains, pagan and holy buildings, see for yourself!

St Peter's...

Castel Sant'Angelo...

Spanish Steps... At ruins...

The infamous Colosseo...Walk with me
http://picasaweb.google.com/guai.ah.lian/Rome


I did not enter the Colosseo because I have been inside before and the exterior is way more impressive than the interior. But I went in the Vatican city to see the Sistine Chapel and St Peter's Basilica by Michelangelo. Along the way to Sistine Chapel were so many beautiful art decorating the ceilings and walls that my neck ached from gazing upwards and my jaws hanging open from wonderment.

One section of the long and gorgeous corridor ceiling...

Raphael's art in the signature room...Michelangelo's famous Sistine Chapel...

One of the artpieces along the walkway that I found outstanding...For a more complete tour
http://picasaweb.google.com/guai.ah.lian/SistineChapel


St Peter's Basilica was really grand. Being inside gives me a sense of calm and quiet joy, maybe because the place was so beautiful and there were so many absorbed in their faith.
http://picasaweb.google.com/guai.ah.lian/StPeters

Pieta, one of Michelangelo's famous sculptures...


First sight at entrance instils a sense of wonder in me...
Looking up to the cupola/dome...... in the solemn night I watch
Before the Easter morn.
So pure, so still the starry heaven,
So hushed the brooding air,
I could hear the sweep of an angel's wings... -- Edna Dean Proctor

No comments: