Saturday, June 9, 2007

Reflections

I have been jogging in the morning around campus and it is a time to ponder and reflect for me. Being an earlybird, I jog alone on weekend mornings and admire the trees and shrubs and flowers. Sometimes, they give interesting insights.

Like this fence showing the lovely white flowers
I think it is shows that underneath the fence everyone built up around themselves is a beautiful soul. I thought of this because I have been quick to judge people recently for their flaws and not taken time to look for their inner beauty. Maybe, under all that annoying acts is a good friend who will never be one if I keep writing him or her off.

Then there are these wayside flowers that nobody notices, not eye-catching but possess a wistful charm on closer inspection
The cars whizzed by everyday and are blind to the beauty that surrounds them. It is just like people in this fast-paced technology-driven age, working hard without knowing exactly for what. Reminds me of the story of a young man rushing for work and being blocked by an elderly couple. They kept stopping to smell the roses and finally told the young man they took a lifetime to learn that.

Of course not every jog is full of deep thoughts, but they are always full of sights that make me smile. Ducks blocking my way while quacking to each other and squirrels scampering about for nuts. First time seeing roses growing and not in bouquets is really wondrous and I enjoy walking under trees that give showers of petals when the wind blows.

These everyday simple beauties make me think about how much there is to enjoy in life. I haven't been quite my cheery self and I think have turned rather irritable and gloomy. These morning jogs really brightened up my days. Below is a little bit of what I have taken such pleasures in, they are not stunning as there is insufficient light from the morning sun and more importantly, they are just flat 2D images, seeing them thus is different from seeing them surround you.

No comments: