Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Reporting Live from Loughborough on Shootout... sunday, march 11, 2007

Sunday, March 11, 2007 marks our one month in UK and we celebrated with Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Now, I love ice cream and chocolates but my inner scrooge allows me to buy only when they are on offer. Consequently, my brother and I only buy these treats at discounts and I only eat my all-time fav venezia ice cream on special occasions. So, when we spied Ben & Jerry's ice cream going at 2 tubs of 500ml at 5 pounds, we bought it! It's costly to me but according to Alwyn, our foremost expert on Western cuisine, it's a steal. Plus, we should treat ourselves to commemorate our one month anniversary here. Whatever, all I know is that I could wallop the whole tub all by myself but being a perfect lady conscious of decorum, I refrain from showing my prowess... haha!

Sadly, this happy occasion is marred by news of a shoot-out at the student union. The student union here has a pub (pub selling drinks and where people party, not the British pub selling fish & chips) and somebody shot the bouncer in the stomach. Luckily, nobody was killed. The gravity of the situation didn't fully register with me until I pass by there the next morning.

Read all about it in http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/6438939.stm

The whole area was cordoned off and there were policemen all around. There were also reporters interviewing the vice-chancellor, student union president... ... It was rather shocking and sobering, making me feel that life is highly unpredictable. One minute you're partying and having fun, the next minute something tragic happens. Well, all we can do this time, this moment, this instant, is to treasure the precious time we have.......

No comments: