Sunday, February 18, 2007

Chinese New Year... sunday, february 18, 2007

Gong xi fa cai! Wishing everyone a wonderful and fantastic year ahead =)

The day dawned bright and early, does it mean an auspicious year ahead? Sure hope so! I felt warm on waking up and was surprised that Lydia did too, she even slept without socks on! Poor little wiggly toes =( She thought the warmth was from the wine last night but the guys poo-pooed her idea.


Well, after breakfast, we set about making sandwiches and experimented baked potatoes (true gluttons, preparing one meal right after another). The sandwiches from leftover chicken that I helped to shred while standing till I was so sick of it that I did not bother shifting from one tired foot to another. I blame the chicken for being so busty. Fiddling around and figuring out which knobs for grill and oven was a brainteaser to four future mechanical engineers.


Our sandwiches are for our outing to Beacon Hill, a site where a pyre is burned to signify the passing of a monarch. It was recommended by the cleaner who told of what "Loughborough" meant. "Lough"=swamp, "borough"=something like town, so "Loughborough" means town built on swamp and is pronounced as "lufbra". We set off soon after and I took my first bus ride (costing 1 pound and 30 pence, groan!). We passed through beautiful woodland scenary but not even that beauty prepared us for the breathtaking vista that awaited us at Beacon Hill.


No word sufficient to describe the wonder I felt (but I shall try). From the bus-stop to the hill were quaint houses that are reminiscent of fairy tales with brambled walls, charming wells and pretty gardens (I think I saw heather and berries, so happy to see what I had read and dreamed about in childhood). On the way up, we had to enter through wooden (and metal) stiles to hike up woody slopes and craggly little stone cliffs. There were footpaths (mudpaths actually) dotted with benches containing small plaques to commemorate people who had loved this hill.

The splendid hilltop view... I'm stumped speechless. Shall leave you now to pore over the photos =)


http://picasaweb.google.com/yannyranran/BeaconHill http://picasaweb.google.com/yannyranran/MoreBeaconHill

No comments: