Friday, May 16, 2008

Sichuan earthquake

Disasters, or hard times, sure bring out the best and worst in people.

I just watched reports on the Sichuan earthquake on Phoenix Chinese Channel and Sisy's World News. There were moving accounts: a little girl sang a childrens' folksong "Liang Zhi Lao Hu (Two Tigers)" to cheer her rescuers and forget her pain; a trapped grandma spent her last effort to throw her grandchild out of the wreckage; a badly injured little boy insisted he was not in pain ("wo bu tong! bu tong!") while being rescued; another child was smiling cheerfully when carried out of the wreckage despite broken legs and infected arms... I could not help but feel a burning sensation in my eyes.

There were also disgruntled villagers in remote areas, complaining loudly about late rescue efforts. I mean, I can empathize their unhappiness but when I see the amount of rubble the rescuers have to clear to even reach the danger zones, I thought the rescuers were already trying their best. There were rescuers who parachute down blindly to reach victims faster, which is extremely dangerous, because one is not sure where to land and some were hit by flying debris. Rescue efforts are further hampered by the stench of rotting corpses and possibilites of more cave-ins.

I am deeply touched by the brave children (some trapped for more than 80 hours) and dedicated rescuers (most who rest for about 2-3 hours before returning to work). They got me thinking if I could display such fortitude and selflessness if I were in the same situation. I don't know really, but I can and will try to always do the right thing. This thought was sparked by Dr Liang's reply, "Yes, but we're thinking how to help" to my, "We're so lucky to be safe here" on Tuesday.

So glad I am going to start work and earn money soon! My YEP (Youth Expedition Programme) to help poor students in Yunnan in 2004 made me decide to "adopt" needy kids through the Hope Foundation the moment I am financially independent, which means, some money would be deducted from my account every month to pay for the kid's wants. I think there is no greater satisfaction than to help a deserving fellow human being and feel their joy =) (i say deserving because there are some very bad or hopeless people around who make me feel like kicking their asses, oops!)

No comments: